Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Card: Magnolia for a Sympathy

Hello and Welcome!

Welcome to today's post! I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer so far.  I know that I have been busy trying to keep my little entertained these last few weeks and we still have about two more months of summer to go! The Texas heat is here, so there will be lots more pool and splash pad time in our future!! That being said, I am working "overtime" trying to get some cards done and have been sneaking in some crafting between pools, naps and friend time!

I am back today to share a sympathy card made from the beautiful Magnolia Lane suite.  Sympathy cards are never easy, so I went ahead and played along with the TGIF Challenge to have a few sympathy cards for my stash.  Always good to have these on hand especially when a friend is in need of a kind word or two.

And here is today's card...


The magnolia flower really steals the show on this one.  And the extra layers of designer paper help bring the flower to life.  I mixed the new with the old on this one as the sentiment stamp is from a retired Stampin' Up! set called Heartfelt Blooms.  It may be a retired set, but I thought that particular sentiment was just the right touch. 

Technique Tip: I used the "masking" technique to create an oval shape around the stamped sentiment.  First, stamp the sentiment in the center of a die-cut piece of Whisper White cardstock.  Simply cut an oval shape from extra, scrap cardstock and tape over the sentiment.  Stamp the surrounding background images in the color of your choice on and around the oval shape.  Peel away the oval to reveal the sentiment.   


Card Details
Size: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White, Mossy Meadow, Magnolia Lane DSP
Ink: Mossy Meadow
Stamp Set: Good Morning Magnolia, Heartfelt Blooms
Tools: Rectangle Stitched die set, Magnolia Memory die set
Accessories: Linen Twine

I included the picture below that was taken during "construction".  I had the magnolia flower and coordinating leaves cut and ready to be assembled on the card; however, I thought at this point the card was just as pretty.  So I thought I would share this photo as well just to show how a card can go from simple to spectacular with just a few extra pieces. 



Today's card was inspired by the following challenges...




Across the top: Ribbon (linen twine), Patterned Paper (Magnolia Lane DSP), Die-Cut (Magnolia)

Keep Austin Crafty!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you like today's post?!  If so, don't forget to...
  • Leave a comment below! I love to hear your thoughts on the day's project!
  • Check at the ATXPaperHouse Card of the Month Club!
  • Follow me on Pinterest.
  • Check out my Etsy Shop.  New Listings Added!  

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful sympathy card and lovely flower. I need to try to make one. Thanks for the inspiration. Thanks for playing along with the challenge over at The Paper Players this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Windy! Yes, I recommend the magnolias for sure. They are so fun to work with!

      Delete
  2. I love your card, especially the beautiful magnolia flower!!! That huge white flower looks lovely against the background paper. Thanks for joining TGIF Challenges this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tami! I love the magnolias and I can't get enough! Wonderful inspiration from the design team for this week's challenge!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Those papers are pretty enough in their own right, but adding that big luscious flower really kicks it up a notch! We are so thrilled that you played with us at the Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LeAnne! Yes, aren't those magnolias just lovely! Glad to have played along with this week's challenge!

      Delete